Welcome to Housing Maintenance
On This Page:
- General Information
- Service Requests
- Move-In Room Condition Form
- Pilot Lighting
- Move Out Inspection Information
- UG Term Cleaning Schedule
Housing Maintenance is located in the Center for Student Services (building 86) on Holliston Ave.
Hours of Operation: 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday-Friday (except holidays)
After Hours Maintenance Emergencies: Caltech Central Plant 626-395-4717
COVID-19 SAFETY PROTOCOLS:
***Caltech's first priority is the health and safety of its Housing community. Please see the new Housing processes and safety protocols for work order requests and inspections:
WORK ORDER PROCESS
- Maintenance Staff gets assigned a work order and
troubleshoots with residents at doorstep or drops off parts depending on
the nature of the call. Priority calls include plumbing leaks and clogs, gas leaks, heater or air conditioning malfunctions and pest control. Other requests will remain as pending depending on urgency and staff availability.
- Maintenance Staff (wearing masks)
enters unit and fixes the issue if necessary, students if present are to adhere to social distancing guidelines and wear face coverings during the repairs.
INSPECTION & REHAB PROCESS
- Maintenance staff will wear masks to inspect the unit and perform any necessary fixits
- During inspections and fixits if students are present, we will require that they wear a mask, or stay in a room at least six feet away with the door closed, or wait outside of the unit until the work is completed. If student is present and does not comply with these requirements, charges will apply for the staff member's time and not being able to complete their work.
Furnished student rooms and apartments come with a standard set of furniture. If a piece of furniture is missing from your assigned space when you move in be sure to notify Housing Maintenance and note it on the Room Condition Form as soon as possible.
If your room has all the provided furniture, Housing Maintenance will not swap based on personal preference. Student room furniture (including built-ins, bed frames and mattresses) is the responsibility of each resident. If you do not want some or all of the standard provided room furniture you will need to store it yourself and return it when you vacate the room to avoid replacement charges and fees.
If we find furniture sitting outside of a room, apartment or house we will notify the house president, steward, RA or RLC asking that they find the resident to whom the furniture belongs so they can claim it or it will be removed. Removed or unclaimed furniture cannot be reclaimed upon move out, regardless of when that occurs. It will be the responsibility of the resident to return all furnishings to the original set-up. The resident will be responsible for any missing/damaged furniture as fees will apply.
If your furnace pilot has been turned off during the summer months, you can submit an online request with Housing Maintenance to relight it. Please please log into your access.caltech.edu account and click on "AiM Customer Portal" and select "Housing" and select "Student Housing" and please schedule this service prior to cold weather to avoid delays.
Up to one week prior to your departure, Housing Maintenance will send email notification of your scheduled pre-moveout inspection with a Maintenance Technician that will include the date and time. A technician will walk the unit with you and note areas in the unit that need attention prior to your move-out to avoid furniture, paint or flooring repairs or custodial charges.
Please see below for guidelines that should be followed before checking out of Caltech Housing to avoid damage charges:
• Make sure all personal items and trash is removed from the unit/room prior to turning in your keys.
• Make sure all areas in the unit are cleaned. If living in a shared unit, this will include your bedroom and common areas.
• If applicable, return all furniture to its proper location and make sure patios/balconies are clear.
• Make sure there are no major damages to the unit/room.
• We encourage our residents to perform a final walk through of their unit/room and take pictures of the condition they are leaving it in prior to checking out and turning in the keys. Please send the pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you vacate the unit and keys have been turned in, an inspection will be scheduled. The final inspection will be performed by the Maintenance technician after your departure and if there are any questions regarding the condition of the unit, you will be emailed directly.