New Student Housing Options
New student housing application deadline is, April 30, 2023.
Housing Information 2023-2024
- The Caltech Housing Office will begin accepting applications on April 15, 2023, for campus lottery housing from students who have been admitted to graduate study for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Visiting students are not eligible for lottery housing but will be considered for housing assignments if and when there is no Caltech student waiting list. However, you may be eligible for guest housing.
- Newly admitted graduate students must indicate at least three eligible housing options on the lottery application form and submit it online by Sunday, April 30, 2023. New student housing applications received after the application deadline will be accepted in order of date received. After the first academic year all returning graduate students will be subject to the annual Housing lottery.
If you would like to have your own private bedroom your options are:
- Catalina 2-Bedroom Furnished: You are renting one room with a roommate in the other bedroom and sharing common apartment spaces.
- Catalina 4-Bedroom Furnished: You are renting one room with 3 roommates in the other bedrooms and sharing common apartment spaces.
- Off-Campus Studio Furnished: You are renting the studio alone.
- New students are also encouraged to apply for the off-campus Caltech-owned Lease Properties. For more information and to apply, please see the Off Campus Lease Properties Unfurnished Units (access.caltech.edu under "My Housing", only available with a Caltech UID and access).
- New students who have a non-Caltech spouse or partner can submit an "Individual Student with spouse or partner" application for a Catalina 1 Bedroom Furnished unit or an Off Campus 1 Bedroom Unfurnished unit.
- Two Caltech graduate students who are spouses or partners can submit either one "Individual Student with spouse or partner" application for a Catalina 1 Bedroom Furnished unit or an Off Campus 1 Bedroom Unfurnished unit or as two separate applications if they want a Catalina 2-Bedroom Furnished unit.
- New students with at least one dependent child can submit a "Student with at least one dependent child" application for an Off-Campus 2-Bedroom Unfurnished unit, or an Off Campus 1-Bedroom Unfurnished unit or a Catalina 1-Bedroom Furnished unit.
- Please do not apply for Caltech housing with the intention of receiving only temporary housing. The housing contract period is from September 1st to July 31st.
- A minimum of fifteen days notice is required for any contract cancellation; you will also incur a $350.00 cancellation fee. Release from the contract without a cancellation fee is granted only in the case of graduation, academic withdrawal, a leave of absence from the Institute or when transferring to other Caltech-owned student housing. Residents may be released from the housing contract for any reason without a cancellation fee during the summer months only by providing the Housing Office with a minimum of fifteen (15) days written notice.
- Information about the Catalina locations are available HERE.
- A confirmation of your housing status will be sent via e-mail around the end of May. Please indicate any e-mail address effective for the months of May - June on the application form and notify the Housing Office of any changes.
- Specific room, apartment, and apartment mate assignments are made during the summer months and will not be available until your arrival. Please do not contact the Housing Office during the summer requesting an exact assignment because that information is subject to change and cannot be provided.
Students who are differently abled and/or have documented medical needs or housing restrictions (need to apply and be approved by the CASS Office), before those types of assignments can be made.
The rental rates indicated for the 2022-2023 housing contract period are effective through August 31, 2023. Housing Contracts and Rates are effective September 1, 2023 to July 31, 2024 for academic year 2023-2024. The rent is charged each month to your student Bursar's account.
Catalina residents are billed additionally approximately every other month through their student Bursar's account for all electrical and gas usage to their own individual apartments. Although utility usage can vary greatly, the following monthly estimates are provided: four-bedroom $100.00/person, two-bedroom $110.00-$150.00/person, one-bedroom $120.00-$160.00. In addition, each Catalina resident will be charged $20.00 per month for their ethernet connection. All other utilities except private telephone and cable television are included.
Off-campus residents in 180-188 Catalina, 250-252 Catalina and 229 Wilson are billed additionally every month through their student Bursar's account for all electrical and gas usage to their own individual apartments. All other utilities except for private telephone, cable television and internet connection are included.
Given the long waitlist, new students are also encouraged to apply for the off-campus Caltech-owned Lease Properties. Once you have your Caltech UID and can log onto Access.Caltech, visit Off Campus Lease Properties Unfurnished Units (access.caltech.edu under "My Housing", only available with a Caltech UID and access).
Any notice to cancel your housing application without penalty must be submitted through the cancellation form below by June 11, 2023. Applicants who cancel their reservation between June 12, 2023 and August 31, 2023 will be charged a $200.00 late cancellation fee.
Reservations cancelled after the contract has begun (September 1, 2023) will be charged a $350.00 fee if at least 15 days notice is given. For more information and cancellation form, please see the Cancellation Form
- New Graduate Students Moving In
- Arrival and Check In Hours
- Monday - Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Closed for Check In on Saturday and Sunday
- Closed on Institute Holidays
Students who plan to arrive during the summer term between June 20 and August 31, must have a faculty sponsor and be enrolled as a non-degree student in order to be eligible for summer housing. Please contact your primary Option Manager at least 30 days prior to your anticipated arrival so they can prepare the documents necessary to receive an official invitation letter from the Graduate Dean.